Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Ghost Orbs and the Paranormal
March 29, 2024, 04:57:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Land of the Paranormal

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Tuberavens Staff List Login Register  

REDNECKS

Recent Items
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: REDNECKS  (Read 4295 times)
Tuberavens
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:46:49 am »

The origins of this term Redneck are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", (rednecks) which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?

Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the term’s origins - Rednecks?

The True Definion of a Redneck

* This question I battle with every day. I have tried to answer it with dictionaries and with every resource book available. But none of them give the true meaning of what it means to be a redneck. I am now going to give you my definition of a redneck.
    * Being a redneck is being proud of your roots and a true love for your father’s name. Where family and friends are first and strangers are just a vague, dismal blur in the distance. Rednecks are good ol' boys/gals who usually live in the south (usually in the country) and also tend to have a southern accent. Their necks are red and maybe their arms, too, cause they work hard and out in the heat all day.The group that is ridiculed by most, but deep down envied by all. Some types of rednecks may be cowboys/girls, mountain men/women, country boys/gals, and or hillbillys.
    * Big truck tires, huntin’, fishin’, tractor pulls, country music, Charlie Daniels, and rebel flags are just a few words that might describe a redneck. They usually drive pickup trucks with loud sounds that can usually be heard before seen, and they also tend to blare country music from their radios. They usually add a CB radio to their truck and may have a gun rack in the back and an ol' rebel flag flyin from the antennae or posted on their front or back winshield. It is hard to figure these people out. Most people just can’t understand how you can have such a weird lifestyle of cowboy hats and buckles.
    * Many Rednecks love the ol' T.V. show called "dukes of hazzard" and western shows. They are very laid back and tend to **** people off when they drive too slow or too fast down the road in their ol' pickup trucks.
    * They love women/men (preferrably Cowgirls/boys), country music, wearin' jeans, wearin' boots (may be leather), wearin' a cowboy hat, yellin' yyyyyeeeehhhhhaaaaaawwwwww! out loud, shootin' the bull (talkin and telling some stories), fishin', huntin' watching wrestlin', watchin' or goin' to NASCAR races, watchin' baseball, or watchin' football.
    * Rednecks may also like the rodeo. They love ridin’ horses or bulls, or ropin’ calves. Most Rednecks can usually be found at or off your local gravel road, in Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina and yes sometimes you can even find them in the northern states. They will be found on or near your local farm, at a bar (playin pool), local rodeo event and or stock show. The Redneck diet may include t-bone, tender loin, beef, beef stew, cajun food, Burger King, pizza, and maybe some good ol’ peach cobbler fer desert.
    * Things that make a redneck mad: somebody stealin’ his healthy horse, making a promise which you can’t keep, cuttin’ down rodeo evernts, and much more.
    * Things that really **** a redneck off is: stealin’ his cowgirl, a guy hitting a gal, a guy cheating on his gal, child abuse,beatin’ up his haas(word which means buddy), messin with his family, and much more. I tell ya, most rednecks like to fight for their woman and/or to defend their own honor. And i guarantee you if a true redneck sees you do one of the things in this list that redneck will whoop your @$$ right then and there
    * Rednecks know how to treat women. Rednecks know how to respect, love, and care about gals. True Rednecks love females for who they are and would never cheat on them. A True redneck would never hit or injur a female. White trash lies to females, cheat on them, beat them, get them pregnant and then leave them.
    * How can your friends be more important than yourself? This might be a question from a typical non-redneck. Where the outdoors are loved and where blue-collar labor is not looked down on but a way of life. Where hard hats are worn instead of pocket protectors. Where steel toe boots are worn instead of nice loafers. Where blue jeans and a flannel are preferred to a nice coat and tie. Rednecks are the people that make the world go round!
    * What a Redneck Isn't
    * I have already explained What a redneck is, now I feel it necessary to explain what a redneck isn't. Most folk out there, sittin on their high and mighty social horse feel that they can group folks they see as uncultured or undesireable as rednecks. This shows their lack of knowledge and ignorance.
    * For example, these people interchange characteristics of white trash and rednecks. I will admit that it might be possible for a redenck to be also white trash, but this is not to be taken for granted. And some characteristics are no longer apply or might have never applied. I will attempt to rectify this.
    * 1. White trash, or more correctly, trailer-trash live in trailers...not rednecks. We more commonly inhabit run-down, partially constructed homes or log cabins.
    * 2. Rednecks are not lazy, incompitent, laggards. Those incorrectly grouped with us that do fit this descriptions are more commonly called "welfare-trash". It must be noted that being on welfare does not automatically make one trash, merely down and out and nothing to be ashamed of. Rednecks and white-trash are the ones that built this country(and that aint figurative).
    * 3. The inbred stereo-type is old and over used and can no longer be considered humorous or accurate. Those that use this description have confused us with "European Blue-Bloods"(now there's some trees that never branched! They didn't call each other cousin for the hell of it!!!)
    * 4. Rednecks are not stupid. In the bountiful ignorance of most cityfolk, they have confused ignorance with stupidity and proven my point themselves. There are old rednecks in these hills that never went past the second grade that have more knowledge in the head than most of those acedimic boobs that profess to be "educated". Once had some of these fellers poken fun at me for miss using an economic term, but when I asked them a question, damned if any one of 'em knew how much hardener to add to a golf ball sized helpin of body puddy!! Guess they must'a just been stupid??
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tatman
orb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:41:34 pm »

Undecided 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Affiliates